Monday 10 February 2014

Neck Nominations

You may have heard of this craze that's going around called 'neck nomination'. It's particularly popular with students, which I guess isn't surprising since it typically involves alcohol. The basic idea is that once you've been nominated, you have 24 hours to film yourself downing a pint of something, upload it, and nominate someone else to do the same so the whole thing keeps going.

Now I'm not much of a drinker so maybe I would think differently if I was, but this is a craze that annoys me. I accept that people drink a lot in social situations, and I have no problem with people drinking more than me; but it's the way people go about these nominations and the content of some of them that frankly, I think is idiotic.

There seems to be an unspoken necessity to 'outdo' the person who nominated you, to show them up and beat not just them but other people who posted an attempt. To be honest, I think this is what's led to some of the most idiotic and sometimes frankly disgusting videos I've seen in a while. As well as people mixing unimaginable amounts of alcohol, there's been people drinking shower gel, bleach, toilet cleaner, basically everything with chemicals in it going, and unbelievably even some with people drinking, ahem, number ones and twos. Literally could not think of a nicer way to put it when we're thinking about this stuff being consumed!! If you thought that was bad, there are some that are so disgusting I don't even want to repeat them here. If you're that bothered, just google neck nomination and animal rights and there's some absolutely horrific examples.

It's not just idiotic and stupid - it's downright dangerous. People have been arrested, hurt and even hospitalized because of some of these stunts. When I saved a draft of this post as I started writing it a few days ago, two people had DIED because of taking part in this so called 'game' in Ireland. Now, more people have died and it feels ever worse since it's closer to home in the UK. It's been taken way too far. This is not a game, people! Should something that brings a person to their death really be defined as amusing or entertaining?! No!

I've seen much better uses of time in response to this crazy idea that's going round. One of my facebook friends used some of her video time to drink something with not a drop of alcohol in it, and most admirably, most of the length of her video was spent raising awareness for a cause she felt passionately about. (On the offchance you might read this, you are AWESOME.) I've even seen something emerge called RAK nominations, random act of kindness! Videos have been posted which simply show them doing something that makes someone's day. Doesn't these kind of things seem like a much better, productive and inspiring way to spend your time?

So if I ever get a nomination, don't expecting me to be downing a pint with all sorts in it. I might just mix a drink with hot chocolate, milk, cream, marshmallows, sprinkles... (ooh rebel!). Then I might just go and buy a homeless person a new pair of socks. Or you know what? I might just go and do all of those things anyway. Without some damned nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment